Children's Allowance (income exceeds €24,833)



This benefit is intended for parents having the care and custody of their child/ren and whose income exceeds the €24,833 threshold.


A parent may be eligible for Children’s Allowance if the following criteria are fulfilled:
  1.  Applicant should be a resident of Malta for at least three months before date of application;
  2. One of the parents should be a Maltese citizen, has a refugee status or be a citizen of an EU Member State or is a citizen of a member country of the European Social Charter, and has the care and custody of child;
  3. The total reckonable income, after the amount paid in respect of social security contributions is deducted, exceeds the €24,833​​.
  4. Child/ren is/are under 16 years of age.


When completed the application must reach the Department of Social Security by not later than six months from the date of birth of the child.  All sections of the form should be completed and where applicable is to be signed by both parents.  Payment is effected every 13 weeks for 52 weeks up to age 16.

Documents Required

  1. Application filled and signed by both parents where applicable.
  2. In case where child is born abroad birth certificate is to be produced.
  3. In case of Single Parents care & custody & maintenance documentation (known father).

Payment Method

The Department of Social Security informs the applicant about the outcome of the claim.  Once awarded, Children’s Allowance is deposited into a bank account specified by the applicant.

Payment Dates

To check when is your next payment please visit this page by clicking here.

How to apply?

In most cases there is no need to apply for the Children's Allowance benefit as this is issued automatically. However, in a few particular situations this may not be the case. In these instances the applicant may call at any Social Security Office (view list here) and apply there.
Alternatively, you can download a copy of the form by visiting our Application Form page.
Once you complete the application and you have all the required documents, you can send it by post to:

Department of Social Security 
Children's Allowance Section
38, Ordinance Street
Valletta VLT 2000​