Any pregnant woman or any adoptive parent that fulfils the criteria set out by the Social Security Act will be eligible to a Maternity Benefit.
A pregnant woman or an adoptive parent may be eligible for the Maternity and Adoption Benefits if the following criteria are fulfilled:
1. Applicant is a citizen of Malta or married to a citizen of Malta, or is a citizen of a European Union Member State, or a citizen of a member country of the European Social Charter, or has a refugee status and is ordinarily resident in Malta or Gozo.
2. Applicant has to be in her eight month of pregnancy or has given birth to a child in the six months prior to the date of the claim. In the case of adoption you can apply once the official adoption documentation is in hand and/or within six months from the official child adoption date.
3. Applicant who is not in employment.
4. Applicants who are employed and chooses not to avail herself of maternity leave from place of work.
5. Applicant who is self occupied.
When completed the application must reach the Department of Social Security when applicant reaches the 8th month of pregnancy and by not later than six months from the date of birth of the child. All sections of the form should be completed and signed by applicant. Payment is effected in two lump sums (if application is lodged before birth) and in one lump sum (if application is submitted after birth and in case of adoption).
1. The employers section must be filled.
2. The medical section must be filled if child is not yet born & signed by applicant.
The Department of Social Security informs the applicant about the outcome of the claim. Once awarded, Maternity Benefit is deposited into a bank account specified by the applicant.
To check when is your next payment please visit this page by clicking here.
How to apply?
You can apply online by visiting the Eforms page.
You can also call at any Social Security Office (view list here) and apply there.
Alternatively, you can download a copy of the form by visiting our Application Form page.