Applicable for persons insured in Malta for Social Security purposes, who are aged between 62 and 74 and who do not have enough Social Security Contributions to qualify for a Contributory Pension.
1. All those who have reached the age of 62 but have not reached the age of 75.
2. All those who did not/do not qualify for a contributory pension because they do not have the minimum amount of Social Security Contributions paid to qualify for a contributory pension.
Amount paid every year
1. Those who have paid between 50 and 259 Social Security Contributions receive €100 every year until they reach the age of 75. From 75 onwards they will start receiving the Senior Citizen Grant if eligible.
2. Those who have paid more than 260 Social Security Contributions receive €200 every year until they reach the age of 75 as well. From 75 onwards they will start receiving the Senior Citizen Grant if eligible.
From which age the paid Social Security Contributions will be calculated?
1. The paid Social Security Contributions will be all calculated even those paid before the age of 19yrs.
1. The payment will be worked out using the same method that is being used for the Senior Citizen Grant that is an automated process will capture all cases that satisfy the mentioned conditions will be paid automatically.
2. Those who do not receive this bonus automatically are required to apply by filling an application found below.
3. A pro-rate payment will be calculated from the date when he or she will reach the age of 62 and 75.
How to apply?
You can call at any Social Security Office (view list here) and apply there.
Alternatively, you can download the application as indicated below:
Once you complete the application and you have all the required documents, you can send it by post to:
Department of Social Security
38, Ordnance Street,
Valletta VLT 2000