Energy Benefit is aimed to mitigate the effect of expenditure on water and electricity bills of low income families.
1. The following social security beneficiaries qualify for EB:
a) Persons in receipt of Social Assistance (including Social Assistance, Single Unmarried Persons, or Unemployment Assistance.
b) Persons in receipt of Special Unemployment Benefit
c) Persons in receipt of an Age Pension
d) Persons in receipt of a Carer’s Pension
2. Persons in receipt of the following benefits qualify through a means test:
a) Children’s Allowance
b) Supplementary Allowance
c) A Pension in respect of Disability
Such beneficiaries qualify if the total income is less than €8,886
3. A person can qualify on ‘humanitarian grounds’ where:
a) a head of household proves that a member of the family suffers from a medical condition that requires
excessive use of water and electricity, and
b) such member is permanently residing in Malta, and
c) the household income is less than €30,911 per annum.
Following the submission of an application form, persons can qualify either:
- As a Social Case
- Through a Means Test or
- On humanitarian grounds
Documents required when applying for EB:
Copy of ARMS bill or WSC declaration
Income Declaration for HP/SHP/BLD
As regards to humanitarian cases below documents has to be produced with the application
- Detailed Medical Certificate
- Copy of last Water and Electricity Bill
- Copies of FS3s of head of household and spouse (if applicable)
- Documentation to support usage of electrical equipment used in connection with medical condition.
EB for those who are entitled either as a social case or through a Means Test will include:
- an amount to offset 30% of the consumption of electricity prior to the eco reduction up to a maximum assistance of €75 per year per person in the household, and
- in the case where claimant is the account holder a subsidy of not more than €65 per year in respect of the rent of electricity meter, and a subsidy of not more than €59 per year in respect of the rent of water meter is also awarded.
- Lpg is also paid to claimants who are entitled either as a social case or as means tested cases. Head of households over 60 years are entitled to €40 annually and those under 60 years are entitled for €30 annually per household. Lpg is paid only with actual invoices.
- EB for these persons who qualify on humanitarian grounds will include:
- an amount to offset 80% of the consumption of electricity before the eco contribution reduction, and
- a subsidy in respect of the rent of an electricity meter of not more than €65 per year in the case of a single phase meter or not more than €195 per year in the case of a three phase meter, and
- a subsidy of not more than €59 per year in respect of the rent of water meter.
The benefit is paid by means of direct deduction from ARMS bill
How to apply?
You can apply online by visiting the Eforms page.
You can also call at any Social Security Office (view list here) and apply there.
Alternatively, you can download a copy of the form by visiting our