Social Assistance For Carers


A single or widow male / female, whether registered or not as an unemployed person, and who is taking care of a sick or elderly relative all by herself and on a fulltime basis, may become eligible to Social Assistance Carers.


There is not another unemployed person in the same household and or if the other unemployed person is not medically fit to take care of the sick or elderly relative.


In order to apply for the Social Assistance for Carers taking care of a sick or elderly relative, the person must fill in the prescribed application form, which can be obtained from your local Social Security District Office.  Once completed, the form must be returned to the same office.  The relative that the carer is looking after will need to be examined by a Medical Panel, who will then advice the Director of Social Security, whether the patient really needs to be looked after.

Documents Required

Medical certificate on the sick/elderly relative that the claimant is looking after.

Back office process

Once a claim is received, it is verified and income tests are carried out to establish whether the applicant is entitled to benefit or not. Where payment is due, the claim is referred for payment and the claimant is informed of the details of payment.  When the claim is rejected, the claimant is informed accordingly in writing.

Payment Dates

To check when is your next payment please visit this page by clicking here.

How to apply?

You can apply online by visiting the Eforms page.

You can also call at any Social Security Office (view list here) and apply there.

Alternatively, you can download a copy of the form by visiting our Application Form page.