Non Contributory Blind Pension


A person who is certified, by a Medical Panel as suffering from a visual impairment may be eligible for a Pension for the Visually Impaired.


Claimant’s income, together with the rate of Pension for the Visually Impaired, does not exceed the National Minimum Wage as applicable to an 18-year-old person.


An application form can be obtained from your local Social Security District Office and when completed, handed in to the Official responsible in the Office.

Documents Required

Medical certificate from a registered Ophthalmologist.

Back office process

Once a claim is received, it is verified and income tests are carried out to establish whether the applicant is entitled to benefit or not.  Where payment is due, the claim is referred for payment and the claimant is informed of the details of payment.  When the claim is rejected, the claimant is informed accordingly in writing.

Payment Dates

To check when is your next payment please cli​ck here.​

How to apply?

You can also call at any Social Security Office (view list here) and apply there.

Alternatively, you can download a copy of the form by visiting our Application Form page.