Special Unemployment Benefit


Special Unemployment Benefit is paid to an insured person who qualifies for Unemployment Benefit and is head of household, and who also qualifies for Social Assistance.


Claimant should satisfy contribution test for Unemployment Benefit, should be head of household and must satisfy the means test carried out for Unemployment Assistance.


In order to apply for Special Unemployment Benefit, the registrant should visit his/her local District Office so as to fill in the prescribed application form.  One should declare all the income and assets of the whole household together with the composition of household.  Once the form is completed, it is forwarded to Head Office for assessment by the Section concerned.

Documents Required

Relevant documentation, such as bank statements, rent receipts and other documents showing income of the whole household.  In case of separated persons, contract of separation or court decree. If the latter is not available yet, letter from lawyer stating that the couple is in the process of separation should be produced.

Back Office Process

Once a claim is received, it is forwarded to the Head Office.  Officials of the Department carry out the relevant means test to assess eligibility.  Special Unemployment Benefit is based also on contribution test.  Hence, if claimant satisfies contribution test for Unemployment Benefit, s/he is also entitled for Special Unemployment Benefit.  If the claim is accepted the due payment is issued and the beneficiary is informed.  If the claim is rejected the beneficiary is informed accordingly in writing.

Payment Dates

To check when is your next payment please visit this page by clicking here.

How to apply?

You can call at any Social Security Office (view list here) and apply there.
Alternatively, you can download the application as indicated below:
Click here to print application in Maltese.
Click here​ to print application in English.
Once you complete the application and you have all the required documents, you can send it by post to:
Department of Social Security 
Non Contributory Benefits Section
38, Ordnance Street,
Valletta VLT 2000
Alternatively, you can also drop it at your nearest Social Security Office.