Children’s Allowance – Child between 16 and 21 years of age
Children’s Allowance – Child between 16 and 21 years of age is awarded to married couples, civil union couples, cohabiting couples, single parents, separated parents or parents with a refugee status, having the care and custody of a child, aged between 16 and 21 years.
When children turn the age of 16 and are in full-time education and not receiving a stipend, or registering for work for the first time, they become entitled to receive this allowance.
What you’ll get
The payment for this allowance is issued every 13 weeks in advance.
Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.
General eligibility criteria:
- One of the parents should be a citizen of Malta or married to a Maltese Citizen, or is a citizen of a European Union Member State, or a citizen of a member country of the European Social Charter, or has a refugee status and ordinarily resides in Malta or Gozo.
- Applicants should be residents of Malta for at least three months before applying.
- The parents’ declared income does not exceed €25,409 (based on income backdated by 2 years from the date of entitlement).
- The child must be between 16 and 21 years of age and either is in full-time education without receiving a stipend, or registering for work for the first time.
- Declaration by the Head of the Educational Institution, that no stipend is being paid, which is to be signed and rubber stamped, in the case that the child is in full-time education and is not receiving a stipend. Click here to download the declaration.
- Document from Jobsplus showing date when child started registering for work, in the case that the child has started registering for work.
How to apply
Fill in and submit the application online.