Our mission and values
The Department of Social Security is responsible for the administration of Social Security Legislation, which provides for the payment of benefits under the contributory and the non-contributory schemes. These schemes cover the entire population which is in some way recipient of such benefits. The Department is mainly involved in ensuring that financial support is given to those sections of the community which are mostly in need, namely those with a low-income, the sick, the elderly and the unemployed.
The core operations of the Department of Social Security are to:
- Assess, pay and provide information on social security benefits
- Encourage individuals and organizations’ to be aware of, and to comply with their obligations under social security legislation
- Keep account of the social security system
- Advise Minister on the development of effective and dynamic policies for social security
“to provide correct financial assistance and other benefits to eligible persons in time”
While we remain true to our principles and values, we must keep up with the times in the way we serve and operate. We know that times change and that our evolution must be substantial and continuous, in order to serve future generations efficiently and compassionately.
- In providing financial assistance as and where needed, Social Security promotes, sustains and enhances the dignity of each person thus contributing towards the realisation of human rights
- In full cognisance of changing trends and emerging needs, the Maltese social security system is constantly adjourned to ensure the respect and dignity of every person in society
- Integrity, quality, accountability, loyalty, non-discrimination, trust, impartiality and equality underpin the Maltese Social Security system