Benefits have now been extended to the parents of persons with disabilities 16 years old and over, who are unable to go to work due to school closures and the closures of other services

23/03/2021 | Latest News, Press Release

Further to talks between the Ministry for Social Justice and Solidarity, the Family and Children’s Rights, the Ministry for Inclusion and Social Wellbeing and the Commission for the Rights of Persons with Disability, the benefits for parents announced last week have now been extended to the parents of persons with disabilities  who are 16 years old and over, and who are unable to go to work, unable to work from home and who are taking unpaid leave in order to take care of their children.

This benefit applies to those parents who are in receipt of Increased Severe Disability Assistance.

The Minister for Inclusion and Social Wellbeing Julia Portelli, stated that this scheme will give peace of mind to those parents of persons with disabilities who have to stay at home with their children because of the closures of schools and other services that they used to attend. These parents shall receive financial assistance thus ensuring that none fall behind.

The Minister for Social Justice and Solidarity, the Family and Children’s Rights Dr Michael Falzon,  stated that the main goal for the Government is to continue to support Maltese and Gozitan families, particularly those who are vulnerable. The Minister said that the Department of Social Security within the Ministry had already worked on the first applications received for parental benefits. In fact, a number of parents shall begin to receive the first payments as from next Saturday. Dr Falzon stated that this Government shall continue to sustain the families which are currently facing hardship caused by the pandemic, and they are doing so because they truly believe in social justice.

The Commissioner for the Rights of Persons with Disability Samantha Pace Gasan said that the Commission had noted that the parents of persons with disabilities 16 years old and over, could not continue with their employment and found themselves at a disadvantage. The Commission raised this point with the Income Support and Investigations Directorate so that the families of persons with disability who, due to the current situation were unable to go to work, could be given financial assistance.

The scheme has now also been extended to parents of children under 16 or adults with disabilities who are married, in a civil union or in cohabitation according to the Laws of Malta, where both members of the couple work, or a single parent who:

  1. Works full-time or part-time in the private sector
  2. Cannot work from home
  3. Cannot attend to work to take care of a person with disability between the 15th of March and the 11th of April 2021
  4. Are on unpaid leave
  5. Their employer is not in receipt of the wage supplement for him/her

In the case of a couple where both parents are employed and both cannot work from home, the benefits shall be paid to one of the two parents.

This scheme shall work as follows:

  1. A person working full-time who is found eligible shall receive the amount of €166.15 weekly.
  2. A person working part-time who is found eligible shall receive the amount of €103.85 weekly.
  3. Social security contributions shall be paid throughout the period of payment of these benefits to safeguard the rights for contributory pension.
  4. Those in receipt of in-work benefit shall continue to receive it without interruption or deductions
  5. Those in receipt of tapering of benefits shall continue to receive it without interruption or deductions

Payment of the benefit due to an eligible person, shall be paid directly into the applicant’s bank account each week.  This scheme is applicable as from 15th March to 11th April 2021. However, this period may be extended if necessary.

The benefit application form is available online at: https://socialsecurity.gov.mt and https://family.gov.mt

For further information please call on Freephone 153.​​​