The Carer’s Allowance may be awarded to a single, married, in civil union, or cohabiting person who is over 18 years of age and is taking care of a relative, with low dependency, on a full-time basis living within the same household.
What you’ll get
The Carer’s Allowance is paid every 4 weeks in advance.
If the applicant for a Carers Allowance was in employment before applying for the allowance, s/he may be entitled for Social Security Contributions credits.
Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.
General eligibility criteria:
- The carer is to be a single, married, in civil union, or cohabiting person taking care of a relative (spouse or parent; brother or sister; grandparent; uncle; aunt; father or mother-in-law or brother or sister-in-law) living within the same household as defined in the Social Security Act (Cap. 318.)
- The carer is to be under retirement age
- If the carer has reached retirement age he/she can apply for these Allowances if he/she is caring on a full-time and regular basis for his/her parent, brother, sister, grandmother, uncle, aunt, father-in-law or mother-in-law or his/her brother-in-law or sister-in-law and living in the same household of that person. In these cases, the carer is medically assessed by the multi-disciplinary board and must sit for medical board scrutiny on a regular basis (annually).
- The provisions of Article 90 of the Social Security Act (Cap. 318.) “Duplicate Rights” apply, wherein a beneficiary cannot be in receipt of two pensions; benefits; assistances or allowances concurrently but to the most beneficial pension; benefit; assistance or allowance
- The application for a Carer’s Allowance is not means tested
- A Multi-Disciplinary Board will decide whether the case falls within the medical parameters for payment of this allowance following an assessment based on the Barthel Index or the Mini-Mental State Examination
- If the carer was in employment before applying for the Carer’s Allowance s/he is entitled to credits of Social Security Contributions if:
- s/he has paid a total of 156 contributions; and
- s/he has paid or been credited with an average of at least 20 social security contributions per year since attaining his/her 18th birthday
- Click here to download the Medical Report of patient filled in by a Medical Doctor
- Copy of ID Card of patient and carer
How to apply
Fill in and submit the application online.