Retrospective Payment of Social Security Contributions for a Period of Employment in Libya
This scheme is intended for Maltese residents or persons insured for Maltese Social Security purposes, whereby eligible applicants can pay back-dated Social Security Contributions which are missing from their respective contribution history. Such missing contributions should be during a period/s of employment in Libya between 1990 and 2018. The scope of this scheme is to enable applicants either qualify for a contributory pension, or else enhance its current or potential payment rate.
What you’ll get
Under the provisions of this scheme, eligible applicants may be allowed to pay a maximum of 520 Social Security Contributions (equivalent to 10 years of insurance), which do not necessarily have to be living in the last five years preceding date of application. Payment of arrears of contributions is not allowed for periods when applicant was not normally resident in Malta, and not in employment in Libya.
The applicable rate due for payment of Arrears of Contributions is the standard Class 2 Rate SA as applicable for the year in which the arrears payment is made.
In addition to a Bill of Arrears, the department will issue a comparative pension rate estimate according to the billed arrears paid or otherwise. Applicants will be also formally informed if their application has been rejected or if payment of missing contributions will not eventually enhance their potential pension rate.
General eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be normally resident in Malta and insurable in Malta for Social Security purposes
- Applicants must be under 64 years of age (i.e. must not have turned 65 years old by the time of the application)
- Applicants should have documented period/s of employment in Libya between 1990 and 2018
- In case where contributions were paid to the Libyan Social Security Agency (I.N.A.S.) between 1990 and 2018, documented proof of such payments is required
- A widow who has documented period/s of employment in Libya between 1990 and 2018 of the spouse/partner
How to Apply
Fill in and submit the application online.