Energy Benefit – Humanitarian
The Energy Benefit is aimed to mitigate the effect of the increase in expenditure on water and electricity bills of low-income families.
Following the submission of an Energy Benefit application, a person may qualify:
- On humanitarian grounds (application is reviewed by a Medical Advisory Board, appointed in accordance to the Social Security Act (Cap. 318.) so that a decision is taken)
What you’ll get
A person, who qualifies for Energy Benefit on humanitarian grounds, shall be entitled to:
- an amount to offset 80% of the consumption of electricity before the eco contribution reduction, and
- If claimant or spouse are the account holder a subsidy in respect of the rent of an electricity meter of not more than €65 per year in the case of a single phase meter or not more than €195 per year in the case of a three phase meter, and a subsidy of not more than €59 per year in respect of the rent of water meter
The Energy Benefit entitlement is deducted directly from the Water and Electricity Bill. The amount of Energy Benefit entitlement deducted is indicated in detail on the 2nd page of the Water and Electricity bill.
In addition, a beneficiary who is eligible for the Energy Benefit but is not the account holder of the water and electricity meter, will receive an advice letter from the Department of Social Security with the details of the Energy Benefit awarded. This information should be compared with the bill received by the account holder whereby the beneficiary is to confirm that the amount of the Energy Benefit mentioned in the letter has been reduced in the bill.
General eligibility criteria:
- A head of household proves that a member of the family suffers from a medical condition that requires an excessive use of water and electricity
- Such member is to be permanently residing in Malta
- The household income is less than €30,911 per annum (Year of Assessment as previous year of application)
Any change in circumstance must be reported immediately to the Director General (Social Security). If the Director General (Social Security) is not informed about change of circumstance, entitlement for the benefit or part of may be forfeited.
- Copy of the last Water and Electricity Bill
- Detailed Medical Certificate (Certificat must not be older than 6 months
- Purchase Receipt or Rental Agreement of Electrical Medical Equipment used (if it is a Rental Agreement this must not be older than 6 months)
- Signed declaration of Rental Income (if applicable)
- Statement of Treasury/Service Pension and/or other foreign pensions (if applicable)
- In case of gainfully occupied person
- FS3 full-time/part-time of both Head of Household and spouse/partner
- FS3 full-time/part-time of Applicant in case he/she is not the Head of Household and/or spouse/partner
- In case of self-employed person
- Profit and Loss Accounts of of both Head of Household and spouse/partner, as well as that of the Applicant and/or spouse/partner
- Social security contributions receipts of Head of Household and spouse/partner, as well as that of the Applicant and/or spouse/partner
- In case of Directors/Company Shareholders: Audited Final Accounts of Head of Household and spouse/partner, as well as that of the Applicant and/or spouse/partner (if applicable)
How to apply
Fill in and submit the application online.