Site Logo
Site Logo
  • MT
  • EN

Latest News:

Marriage Grant


The Marriage Grant may be awarded to a person who was an employed person or a self-employed or self-occupied person for at least 6 months at any time prior to his marriage and is ordinarily resident in Malta upon legal marriage or civil union.

What you’ll get

The Marriage Grant is paid in a lump sum to each eligible spouse.

Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.


General eligibility criteria:

  • Persons who are ordinary residents in Malta having been in an insurable employment or self-occupation for 6 months prior to date of marriage or civil union. In the case of a remarried person, 26 Social Security Contributions are to be paid as from the last date of marriage or civil union

Documentation required

General documentation:

  • Marriage certificate if marriage is not registered in Malta. The marriage certificate should be translated into English or Maltese and also authenticated in the country of marriage. Marriage certificates from any country that are confirmed (stamped) as authentic by the Maltese Embassy or Mission in that country are also accepted provided also same is translated into English or Maltese.
  • Applicants should ensure that their banking details held by the Department of Social Security are updated to receive payments by direct deposit in a bank. The IBAN number should be a savings or current account, but not a loan account. The indicated account should be in the name of the beneficiary only. Banking details may be updated on mySocialSecurity

How to apply

Upon the registration of a marriage or civil union with Malta’s Public Registry, the process for the payment of the Marriage Grant is automatically initiated by the Department of Social Security. In addition, a notification letter may be sent to a prospective beneficiary requesting any missing details necessary for the award of the Marriage Grant should this be the case.

It is important that applicants for a Marriage Grant, should have their application submitted to the Department of Social Security not later than 6 months from the date of marriage or civil union as stipulated by the Social Security Act (Cap. 318.).

Fill in and submit the application online.