The Maternity Benefit may be awarded to a pregnant woman.
What you’ll get
The Maternity Benefit is of a maximum of 14 weeks entitlement. The first part of the benefit consists of 8 weeks entitlement before the due date of the child. The second part of the benefit consists of 6 weeks entitlement after the birth of the child. In those cases where the application is submitted after the birth of the child, only one payment is made.
Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.
General eligibility criteria:
- The applicant should be a citizen of Malta or married/cohabiting with a citizen of Malta, or is a citizen of a European Union Member State, or a citizen of a member country of the European Social Charter, or has a refugee status and ordinarily resides in Malta or Gozo
- The applicant must be in her 8 month of pregnancy or has given birth to a child in the 6 months prior to the date of the claim
- The applicant must not have availed herself of paid maternity leave
- The applicant can be self-occupied
- A signed declaration by a medical practitioner confirming that the claimant has entered her 8 month of pregnancy whilst also indicating the expectancy date
How to apply
The application must be submitted within 6 months from the birth of the child as stipulated by the Social Security Act (Cap. 318.). The benefit, or part of it, may be forfeited if the application is submitted late.
Fill in and submit the application online.