Supplementary Allowance – Head of Household (Single / Couple)
A Supplementary Allowance may be awarded to a person having a low income and is currently not in receipt of a Children’s Allowance. This allowance is intended to help a person bridge his income requirements.
What you’ll get
The payments for this allowance are issued every 13 weeks in advance.
Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.
General eligibility criteria:
- An Applicant should be a resident of Malta for at least three (3) months before date of application
- A single person who is a Head of Household and is currently in receipt of a Social Assistance or Unemployment Assistance or any type of a Contributory / Non-Contributory Pension or Disability Assistance
- A single person who is a Head of Household and is employed or is an employed pensioner
- A person who is still living within the same household with his spouse / partner
- The total reckonable income shall not exceed €14,318 in the case of a couple and €10,221 in the case of a single person
- The income ceiling is based on income and emoluments backdated by 2 years from the date of entitlement, Foreign Pension Income based on the previous year and Local Pension Income based on the Current Year
- If applying as a couple, a separate signed declaration by the couple is to required. Click here to download this declaration
- Copy of ID Card from both sides
- Rent Receipts (if paying rent)
- Electricity Bills (to prove the applicant is Head of Household especially if other persons are registered on same address)
- Declaration on what income applicant is living on if no benefit from the Department of Social Security is being issued
- Declaration of any income earned in the relevant year
- Foreign pension slips
- Rent income declaration (in case applicant receives rent)
How to apply
Fill in and submit the application online.