Senior Citizen Grant
The Senior Citizen Grant is awarded to those persons who are 75 years or older
- still living in their own home or with relatives
- living in a private residential home, which is outside the Public Private Partnership scheme
What you’ll get
The Senior Citizen Grant is a one-time payment paid every year.
The amount of €300 is paid to those elderly persons who are between 75 years and 79 years of age on the 1st January of the current year, or on a pro-rata basis from the date of the 75th birthday up to the end of the current year.
As from 1st January 2022, elderly persons who are 80 years and older will receive a grant of €400.
Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.
General eligibility criteria:
- Persons who are Maltese Nationals who reside permanently in their own residence in Malta or Gozo
- Persons who are Maltese Nationals who reside with their relatives in their residence in Malta or Gozo
- Persons who reside in a Private Residential home, outside the Public Private Partnership scheme
- Foreign person who have a permanent residency in Malta and hold an Australian/Canadian nationality or members of the European Union, Council of Europe or European Economic Area. Foreign persons who do not hold the mentioned nationalities are not eligible for a Senior Citizen Grant even if they have permanent residency in Malta or Gozo
- Persons whose Identity Card number ends with ‘A’ or ‘P’ are required to produce a copy of the Identity Card
- Ensure that your banking details held by the Department of Social Security are updated to receive payments by direct deposit in a bank. The IBAN number should be a local savings or current account, but not a loan account. The indicated account should be in the name of the beneficiary only. Banking details may be updated on mySocialSecurity
How to apply
The Senior Citizen Grant is issued automatically, however an application is to be submitted by those:
- Persons who have been admitted to a retirement home and were later discharged
- Persons who are not in receipt of any benefit, unless they have already received the Senior Citizen Grant in previous years
- Persons whose Identity Card number ends with ‘A’ or ‘P’ need to apply each year
Fill in and submit the application online.