Sickness Assistance is awarded to a person who proves to the satisfaction of the Director of Social Security that he or any family member living within the household is suffering from a disease listed below. and that could only be cured or alleviated by a special diet or regiment, which incurs an additional expenditure.
- Malignant Diseases
- Cardiovascular Diseases:
- Congestive Cardiac Failure
- Persistent Hypertension with a Diastolic reading above 110 if left untreated
- Addison’s Diseases
- Juvenile Diabetes Mellitus
- Enzyme Deficiency Disorders
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Chronic Renal Failure
- Digestive System:
- Chronic Peptic Ulcer
- Coeliac Disease and Idiopathic Steatorrhea
- Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Diseases of the Liver:
- Hepatic Cirrhosis associated with Ascites or Neurological Symptoms
- Wilson’s Disease
- Chronic Schizophrenia
- Bi-Polar Disorder
- Psychotic Depression
- Infectious Diseases – H.I.V. positive
- Chronic lymphedema disease
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)
- Fibrous Dysplasia
- Serious Bodily or Mental Impairment arising from Diabetes Mellitus whether congenital or acquired
- All cases of Diabetes
- Terminal Illness
What you’ll get
Sickness Assistance is paid every 4 weeks in advance.
The 1st payment is issued from the 1st Saturday after the date of the application.
Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.
General eligibility criteria:
- Capital assets of couples do not exceed €23,300 and €14,000 for single persons
- Have a medical condition as already indicated in list
- Weekly income is not to exceed €198.95 for couples and €175.04 for single persons
- Patient must not be in employment and earning not more than €17.50 per week
- In case of a couple where one of them receiving any of the Disability Assistances and is not employed, this assistance is ignored
- In case of a couple where one of them is receiving Increased Carers Allowance and Carers Allowance, this allowance is ignored
- To remain eligible for Sickness Assistance, a widow or widower, are to be already patients and in receipt of the assistance in their name
- Doctor’s report – Click here to download this document which is to be signed and rubber-stamped by a doctor
- Bank Statements (local and foreign bank accounts)
- Copy of rent receipts (if house of residence is rented)
- Copy of rent agreement if rent is derived from other properties
- Relative documents re value of any Stocks/Shares/Bonds and the income derived thereof
- Market value of any vacant property (not being house of residence and/or summer residence)
- Relative statements/documents re income derived from foreign pensions
- Separation/Divorce documents if the case
How to apply
Once the application is received and verified by the Department of Social Security, it is then referred for the recommendation of the Medical Board, appointed in accordance to the Social Security Act (Cap. 318.). Once the Board approves the claim, the procedure for payment is initiated. If the claim is rejected, the applicant is informed accordingly in writing.
There is no need for a widow or widower, who already benefits from the Sickness Assistance, to re-apply for the assistance, in case of death of a spouse. The payment will be automatically processed and paid without interruption.
Fill in and submit the application online.