Site Logo
Site Logo
  • MT
  • EN

Subscribe to stay informed about the latest Social Policy news.


Single Unmarried Parent Allowance


The Single Unmarried Parent Allowance may be awarded to a single unmarried parent who is not engaged in a gainful occupation.

What you’ll get

A Single Unmarried Parent Allowance is paid every four (4) weeks.

The Single Unmarried Parent Allowance is awarded in full if the applicant is single, residing solely with own child/children of whom he/she has care and custody of. However, if the applicant is living with parent/s or corroborating with any other relative, the applicant becomes entitled to 75% of the Single Unmarried Parent Allowance rate.

As from 1st January 2022 the applicant receiving Social Assistance is eligible for the full cost of living.

Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.


General eligibility criteria:

  • The applicant is the person responsible for household and is not in gainful occupation.
  • The applicant must be single and having care and custody of one or more children.
  • The applicant must satisfy the Capital Means Test. Capital resources for a single person must not exceed fourteen-thousand euros (€14,000).
  • Any income deriving from Rents, Bank Interest from Capital, Stocks and Shares, Alimony / Child Maintenance and any other Income derived, must not exceed the maximum Social Assistance rate as per household.

Documentation required

General documentation:

  • Recent Bank Statements of all local and foreign bank accounts.
  • Recent rent receipt/rent agreement if applicant’s house of residence is rented, showing details of who is making the rent payments; or filling in of the Annex 2 – Rent Declaration form by the landlord. Click here to download this document.
  • Logbooks of all vehicles of land and sea in possession.
  • Market value of any vacant property in Malta and/or abroad (not being House of Residence and/or Summer Residence).
  • Filling in of the Corroboration document (Annex 3) if the applicant resides with parent/s or third parties. Click here to download this document.
  • Declaration or letter to indicate amount of maintenance received for the child/children. Click here to download this document.
  • If applicant is enrolled to a University or MCAST course, to attach document showing amount of stipend being received and letter of acceptance.

How to apply

Fill in and submit the application online.