Tapering of Benefits
Single parents with children under 23 years of age, are awarded Tapering of Benefits as long as they work at least 10 hours per week at the National Minimum Wage rate per hour. In such cases, the requisite to have received social assistance for 1 year in the last 3 years does not apply.
What you’ll get
The awarded Tapering of Benefits rate is a percentage of the last Social Benefit rate awarded excluding bonuses:
- 65% of the benefit rate for the first year
- 45% of the benefit rate for the second year
- 25% of the benefit rate for the third year
- 25% of the benefit rate paid to the employer in the circumstance of full-time employment and 12.5% in the circumstance of part-time employment for a period of 3 years
Beneficiaries are paid in arrears every 4 weeks, while employers are paid in arrears every 12 weeks.
If a beneficiary in receipt of Tapering of Benefits becomes unemployed, upon re-employment, the Tapering of benefits resumes from the year that the benefit was stopped.
You may make use of an online Calculator to calculate your potential entitlement of the Tapering of Benefits.
General eligibility criteria:
Single parents who are in receipt of Social Assistance, Unemployment Assistance or Single Unmarried Parent Assistance and engage in a gainful occupation working for at least 10 hours per week and earning more than €42.44 weekly.
- Applicant and Employer’s Declaration – Click here to download this document
How to apply
Fill in and submit the application online.